Skip to main content

Corpus Christi

Go Search
All Ports
Corpus Christi
CRP Calendar
Corpus Christi > Pages > Notices  

Web Part Page Title Bar image



 Port Updates

 Daily Port Update

Subject:CORPUS CHRISTI Port Conditions
Date:Sunday, August 27, 2017
Notice:U.S. Coast Guard Sector Corpus Christi conducted a Port Coordination Team (PCT) conference call today at 1130 hours. WGMA participated on the call and provides the following report:

National Weather Service: The remnant of Hurricane Harvey, now Tropical Storm Harvey, continues weakening and is nearly stationary, roughly SE of Victoria and drifting slowly SE towards Matagorda Bay. The storm is causing torrential rainfall from Southwest Louisiana to south of Port O'Connor and inland to near Austin and San Antonio. The current forecast is for the storm to move offshore again near Matagorda, causing intensification of storm conditions.

Houston and its surrounding communities have been hit especially hard, with some sections receiving over 25 inches in the last 24 hours. A slow storm track over the area will mean periods of heavy rain through Wednesday, resulting in unprecedented flooding for Southeast Texas. This remains a life-threatening situation for many people north and east of Corpus Christi.

A tropical storm warning plus a storm surge warning remains in effect for coastal counties northeast of Sargent TX. The region from Corpus Christi through Cameron is also under a Tornado Watch through 1PM today, and tornadoes will be a slight risk through Monday.

The Captain of the Port (COTP), Sector Corpus Christi, set Port Condition ZULU (MSIB 05-17) at midnight Thursday for the entire COTP Area of Responsibility and this remains in effect. No vessel movements are permitted without specific permission of the Captain of the Port. That does not mean no vessel movements are allowed; it means that permission must be requested and granted before movements are allowed.

As of 1005am Saturday, August 26th, the Captain of the Port authorized the resumption of normal maritime traffic in the Brownsville Ship Channel. All other ports and waterways in the sector are still closed.

There is still a drill ship located in the Corpus Christi ship channel at Aransas Pass, adjacent to the pilot station inside the jetties. Plans are in progress to begin moving it from the channel. Until that vessel is moved no deep-draft vessels will be moving in the ship channel. There are also plans underway to remove the sunken tug and several beached barges from the Lydia Ann Channel.

The press briefing originally scheduled for this morning was cancelled due to the problems in the Houston area.

US Army Corps of Engineers: A survey boat has started moving up the ICWW, starting in Brownsville and headed towards Corpus Christi. Several of the Corps boats have begun working surveys in the area. Other boats are unable to work due to lack of crews; their crews are unable to report due to damage they received at home, and other Corps crews that had been expected from Galveston are unable to come due to the catastrophic flooding in that area. Many have flooded homes and/or vehicles and are unable to come. Additionally, the contracted survey boat that was coming from Houston has been delayed since they also haven't been able to pull their crew together. Additional trailered boats have been requested from New Orleans; unfortunately, the problems in Houston may delay their arrival since so many roads are completely impassable. Other boats and crews have been requested from as far as Mobile AL. It is expected there will be some channel shoaling but the surveys must be finished first to confirm that; it is unknown when there will be a USACE dredge available to assist with any shoaling that may be found.

Aransas-Corpus Christi Pilots: The Presiding Officer advised that he is currently assessing the damage to their Corpus Christi office and then will be proceeding to the Incident Command Post to have a face-to-face meeting with the COTP. They hope to run a pilot boat around the Aransas Pass channel area to assess the situation there.

They also asked that all shipping agents contact their ships and have them proceed to the anchorage to be ready for entering the port once it opens.

Matagorda Bay Pilots: They are still unable to get their boat in the water due to impaired access. There's no power or water and the weather is still very bad. There is debris everywhere.

Port of Corpus Christi: The Harbormaster's office is beginning to compile a queue of vessels that need to call the port and requested updated information from the terminals and agents. The names of the ships and their deep draft is needed!

USCBP Port Director also requested updates from the agents and Harbormaster with a list of ships needing to come into port. Agents are reminded to have the eNOA/Ds for their ships updated with the NVMC.

Matthew Peterson, Manager
Moran Shipping Agencies, Inc.
400 Mann Street, Suite 907
Corpus Christi, TX  78401
Tel: 361-884-0903  Fax: 361-887-6132  Mbl: 361-813-1649

Please reply to our Group Email Address  (  on ALL messages to this office.

Please visit for complete contact details.

IMPORTANT: This message (along with any attachments) is intended only for the named recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received this email in error and that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this email is strictly prohibited.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: All emails sent to anyone are communications to the firm and are not private or confidential to any named individual.

Notice posted on Sunday, August 27, 2017

For quality assurance purposes please note well that while the above information is regularly vetted for accuracy it is not intended to replace the local knowledge or expertise pertaining to port conditions of our marine operations personnel. Port précis should always be verified by contacting the corresponding marine department of a particular location for the most up-to-date information.